Friday, January 8, 2010

Not to Burst Your Bubble

The temperatures have been downright frigid, even by Kansas Winter weather standards. So, I decided to try an experiment. This morning (Friday, January 08, 2010) I decided to try blowing bubbles outside – with an air temperature of 2 degrees – to see exactly what would happen. I had been told that the bubbles will shatter is extreme cold temperatures. So, I bundled up, and set off to find out.

I conducted the experiment in an area beside the county office buildings. There was a South wall and a West wall. The area was fairly sheltered from large amounts of wind. I dipped the wand in the solution, and blew bubbles ten different times. I discovered that several things happened: First, bubbles that hit hard surfaces (concrete, bricks etc.) shortly after being blown, burst quickly. Second, bubbles that were airborne for a longer period of time did shatter into a big bubble gum like consistency. Third, bubbles that landed lightly in the snow, stayed in their bubble shape and became frozen in that state.


I plan to post some follow-up photos after a couple more experiment tries!

No comments:

Post a Comment